Facts and Figures
The School hosts 240 students from June 2019 for the year 19-20. All costs are free of charge for these under-priviledged children : teaching, meals, school supplies, uniforms, health care and control.
EXPENDITURES: Vellai Thamarai India
Annual operating expenses amount to 120.000 €, i.e. 599 € per student for the last school year (2018-2019). Salaries represent close to 2/3 of the total : teachers put some pressure on their salary level which, in fact, is moderate as compared to that of teachers in the public system, and we have to rely on our School values to attract and enthuse our teachers.
FINANCING SOURCES : Vellai Thamarai France
From the origin, the French Association has been the key contributor for the financing of operating costs at the School. Nearly all funds collected (93,3 % last year) are allocated to Vellai Thamara India ; the French Association’s expenditures are solely devoted to administrative and promotional costs, without any salary. Funding sources have diversified over time, and we should increase our address to digital resources soon :
• Membership fees and personal donations,
• Proceeds of workshops and training courses,
• Donations or grants from Associations, Foundations, Institutions,
• Proceeds of events organized by Vellai Thamarai’s members.
Ajit and Selvi Sarkar’s personal financial commitment allowed the start of the project and provided for initial investments. The French Association contributes substantially to the support of operating costs.
In France, the average annual income for the last three years is 176.000 €, showing a global increase but with irregular annual variations related to different sources, thus providing for some structural weakness in fund sourcing.
Specific funding sources are :
• Membership fees and donations made by friends of Vellai Thamarai (over 600), and also proceeds from events,
• Net revenues and donations from workshops run by the founders and other teachers in France and in Puducherry,
• Donations, grants, or skills sponsorship programs related to corporate Foundations, NGOs, schools etc… Among our historic sponsors : Air France Foundation, Yara LNC ( Les Nouveaux Constructeurs), le Secours Populaire Français, Voxens, Harmonie Mutuelle, Société Générale in India, Crédit Foncier, Fondation Thalès, Banque de France, Groupe Briand…
• Events and miscelleneaous.
Recurring annual costs for the School grow with the number of students and related staff. In addition, costs are impacted by general inflation and by the necessary catch up in salaries, particularly for the teaching body. Structural administrative and support costs (G & A) are well managed and under control ; material flows and control tools are improved, and economies of scale are obtained. Students « living costs » amount to 112 € per student per year : we need around 10 € monthly to cover these costs. Food represents close to one half (average of 46 % over the last 3 years) ; per diem food cost per student is 0,26 €.
The School quality of management is measured by a global index : the total operating cost per student : 582 € in 2018-2019. This index has shown an average annual increase of 4 % over the last 3 fiscal years ; significantly less than the inflation rate.