Facts and Figures
The School hosts 220 students since June 2018 for the school year 2018-2019. All costs are free of charge for these under-privileged children: teaching, meals, school furnitures, uniforms, heath care and control.
EXPENDITURES: Vellai Thamarai India
Annual operating expenses amount to 112,000 €, i.e. 514 € per student for the last school year (2017-2018). Salaries represent close to 2/3 of the total amount; teachers put some pressure on their salary level which is moderate as compared to that of teachers in the public sector, and we have to rely on our School values to attract and engage our teachers.
FINANCING SOURCES : Vellai Thamarai France
From the origin, the French Association has been the key contributor for the financing of operating costs at the School. Nearly all funds collected ( 97% in 2017) are allocated to Vellai Thamarai India. Funding sources have diversified over time, and we should address digital resources soon :
• Memberships and personal donations,
• Proceeds of workshops and training courses,
• Donations or grants from Associations, Foundations, Institutions,
• Proceeds of events organized by Vellai Thamarai’s members.
Ajit and Selvi Sarkar’s personal financial commitment allowed the start of the project and provided for initial investments. The French Association contributes substantially to the support of operating costs.
In France, the average annual income for the last three years is 165,000 € ,with irregular annual increase/decrease rates. Specific funding sources have continued diversifying :
• Membership fees and donations made by friends of Vellai Thamarai (over 600), and proceeds from events,
• Revenues and donations from workshops and training courses run by the founders and other teachers in France and in Puducherry,
• Donations, skills sponsorship programs, or grants related to Associations, Corporate Foundations, NGOs, schools. Among our sponsors : Air France Foundation, Yara LNC (Les Nouveaux Constructeurs), Secours Populaire Français, Voxens, Harmonie Mutuelle Group, Société Générale Bank in India, Crédit Foncier, Thalès Foundation, Banque de France, Groupe Briand
Recurring annual costs for the School grow with the number of students and related staff. In addition, costs are impacted by general inflation, and by the necessary catch up in salaries, particularly for the teaching staff. Structural administrative and Support costs (G & A) are well managed and under control; material flows have improved and economies of scale are obtained. Students ‘living costs’ amount to 109 € per student per year, and we need around 10€ monthly to cover these costs. Food represents close to one half of the amount (average of 46% for the last 3 years). Per diem food cost per student is 0,20 €.
The School quality of management is measured by a global index : the total operating cost per student which remains stable at 514 € per student over the last two fiscal years.